Over 250 attendees attended the 9th Annual MyCom Youth Voice Awards on Wednesday, November 1, 2017 at the Intercontinental Hotel & Conference Center. The event was hosted by Brandon Simmons, multi-media journalist of WKYC-TV Channel 3 and included performances by El Sistema@Rainey String Orchestra, Distinguished Gentlemen of the Spoken Word, and Cleveland Public Theatre’s Brick City Theatre group performing “Walking Up Splintered Stairs.”
In addition, P.A.L.S. for Healing, a local non-profit that provides art therapy to those who have suffered trauma and loss, drew an artistic rendering of the event throughout the evening and it was presented to our Master of Ceremony, Brandon Simmons, at the end of the event.
Congratulations to all of our winners listed below, and click here for a gallery of photos from the event.
- Malik Burpo of the St. Clair/Superior Neighborhood and nominated by Phillip Hewitt of St. Clair/Superior Development Corporation
- Mia Casteel of the South Euclid Neighborhood and nominated by Michael Poggi of Open Doors Academy
- Nicholas Hassel of the Shaker Heights Neighborhood and nominated by Sharon Bell of Shaker Heights Youth Center
- Alexis Puleo of the Parma Neighborhood and nominated by Jean Micklewright of OhioGuidestone
- Serena Thomas of the Slavic Village Neighborhood and nominated by Kelly McConnell of University Settlement Inc.
- Tamara Thomas of the Slavic Village Neighborhood and nominated by Ione Parry of Jones Road Family Development
Caring Adult Winners
- Margaret Craig of the Grovewood Salvation Army Temple Corp., nominated by Caroline Peak of Cleveland Public Library
- Joyce Hood of K.N.O.W.L.E.D.G.E. Youth Organization
and nominated by Dr. Larry Baldruff of Cleveland Metropolitan School District
- Amanda Rouse of Parma PTA and nominated by Jean Micklewright of OhioGuidestone
Civic Leadership Winners
- Mayor Tim DeGeeter, Jeannie Roberts and Mickey Vittardi of the City of Parma, nominated by Kathleen Hall of OhioGuidestone
- Sheba Marcus-Bey, East Cleveland Public Library nominated by Earl Turner of East Cleveland Public Library
- Michael Walker, Partnership for a Safer Cleveland nominated by Dr. Mark Fleisher, PhD. of Case Western Reserve University, Begun Center
- Shaker Heights Recreation Department nominated by Sharon Bell of Shaker Heights Youth Center
- Daniel Gray-Kontar and Twelve Literary and Performance Art Incubator nominated by Margaret Craig of the Grovewood Salvation Army Temple
- Darvio Morrow and FCB Radio Network nominated by Darece Daniels of Institutional Development Corporation
- Kevin Lynch and AT&T Foundation nominated by Kathleen Hall of OhioGuidestone